People have been asking me for the recipe after they saw the picture I posted on my facebook :
Dark Chocolate Mille Crepe Cake. I'm a big fan of Mille Crepe !
Alright so let's get down to business ! Here I'm gonna show you step by step with pictures to assist your understanding. :) Put your aprons on now!
This is the RECIPE of Darkest Chocolate Crêpe Cake (serves 14-16, you can make it for birthdays or even Chinese New Year which is approaching ;) ) Just think simple, CREPE + FILLING = MILLE CREPE.
So basically you don't need to use oven ! You just need to make the crepe, then the filling !
For the Crêpes , (makes about 30-40 crepes)
You'll need :
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk at room temperature
- 6 extra large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
You can refrigerate it for at least one hour (if you're in a hurry)
Alright ! Now that you've refrigerate your mixture overnight, you can take it out to cool and move to the next step, cooking the crepe! *excited
|The overnight batter and the utensils needed. (picture credit to Melissa!)|
1. Lightly coat an 8-inch crepe pan or 10-inch non-stick skillet with melted butter and heat over medium heat; wipe out excess(only coat with butter ONCE - at the starting). Pour about 3 tablespoons of the overnight batter into the pan(equivalent to one icecream scoop if you have one), swirling to coat bottom.
2. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the crêpe. Flipping once until edges are golden and center is set, about 30-45 seconds per side(Don't worry about flipping, the crepe won't stick together! Just flip it using the utensils !). Transfer crepe to a sheet of waxed paper. Continue with remaining batter. Crêpes can be made and refrigerated for up to one week.
You know, like how the uncle in pasar malam make the crepes. . Hehe. And don't worry if your crepe break a little and have holes during flipping(like the picture above), because nobody will realize after you put the cream on. Haha!
I think Melissa did a very nice attempt for you guys to understand. So here it is!
|Swirl the batter like how Melissa did here!|
I know... maybe its hard at the first few try, but practice makes perfect! Over here you need to make 30-40 crepes!
Hahahaha good luck with that!
I think around 2 hours and more? Just don't give up!
So you just leave the crepes to cool down at the waxed paper and once its cold you can overlap them together to save space already. :)
Remember I said CREPE + FILLINGS = MILLE CREPE? You've done the crepe part so now this is the last part !
FOR THE FILLING (makes about 8 cups)
You'll need ..
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 6 extra large EGG WHITES
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (14 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces and softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- Pinch of kosher salt
|picture credits to Mynn!|
|picture credit to Mynn !|
Continue beating until the mixture begins to look light and fluffy. Stop the mixer and scrape the bowl. Reduce speed to LOW. Add flavoring and continue to beat on LOW speed for 45 seconds. Then beat on MEDIUM-HIGH speed for an additional 45 to 60 seconds. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the refrigerated whipped cream; use immediately.
Leftover butter cream can be placed in plastic containers with lids and kept in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost completely (several hours) and rewhip before using.
You can store the icing in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months!
Now you have the crepes and filling(cream) to really MAKE THE CAKE! This is the easiest part. :)
Let's just say we're just spreading the creams in between the crepes, just like how you spread butter on breads!
Tada! This is how your crepe cake should look like just before you cover it with the icing.
Wanna make your crepe cake look like this? Just top it with chocolate coating/icing !
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
Spoon 1/2 cup of the glaze on top of the cake, spreading to edges with off-set spatula. Spread remaining glaze around the sides of the cake, coating completely. Refrigerate until glaze is firm and set, about 30 minutes.
Cake can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Now we know how to make a cake in 3 hours! Hahaha.
She's Nazz of Homemade from Scratch Baking! Visit her Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HomemadefromScratchBaking.
I'll be so lost if I just get the recipe online and try to bake a cake myself without any of Nazz's guidance.
So people, if you want to learn how to make a Dark Chocolate Mille Crepe cake just like us, here's an awesome deal for you to attend this baking class by Homemade from Scratch Baking at mycoupon.com.my .
Look out for [41% OFF] RM 88 for 3 hours demo + Baking class for Mille Crepe cake instead of RM 150.
Have fun baking and tell me about it! :)